Find the latest versions and highlights of each release starting with Ninox 3.5
- New features, improvements, and bug fixes apply to all platforms; exceptions are indicated.
- Minor versions are not listed in the release notes, but are always included in the latest major release.
- For example, any bug fixes released in a minor 3.8.X version will be included in the major 3.8.0 version.
We update the web app first. The current version for mobile apps may appear delayed in the App Store and Google Play Store.
Private Cloud releases are regularly available after major Public Cloud releases. We notify all workspace (team) owners in advance about the time we deploy the update to your Private Cloud.
Deployed automatically, opt-out is possible
- field editor supports the following functionality:
- enable inline editing in a view by double-clicking a field
- access to choice, date/time pickers, color, icon pickers, and other modal dialogs
We've redesigned History for databases. Besides a brand-new look, History now enables you to:
- filter by collaborator
- filter by date
- delete history for a specific time period
- limited backward compatibility is provided for the following calls:
This change does not affect your databases.
We do not recommend using the calls mentioned above as they will be phased out after the 3.8.0 release.
We're also working on more standardized ways to support these use cases in the future.
We fixed a bunch of bugs for this release—but we decided not to list any here this time as most of them were related to internal issues in Ninox.
Print customization is available for Public and Private Cloud starting 3.7.7.
- edit records directly from a subtable—without having to open it:
- open a record
- double-click a field to enter or change existing data
- press the
Enterkey to save changes
- press the
Esckey or click anywhere outside the field to stop editing
- inline editing works for every data type with the exception of formula, dynamic choice, and dynamic multiple choice
- press the
Tabkey to edit the next field
- press the
Tab(Windows) keys to edit the previous field
At the time 3.7 was released for Public Cloud (August 30), inline editing only works in the web app. We'll add this functionality to native apps (Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android) at the earliest convenience.
- View, annotate, add shapes, insert attachments, fill and sign, etc.
- open a record that contains a
fileand select Edit PDF from the dropdown
- edit (annotate, sign, draw, etc.) in the editor
- close the editor by clicking/pressing theicon to return to your table✖
The annotations never modify the original
xdffile in the attachment.
Private Cloud (starting Sep 20, 2022)
Merge data from a document made in, for example, MS Office with Ninox data to create and print custom layouts. Refer to the Print customization help page for more info.
Private Cloud/On-Premises (starting Sep 20, 2022)
Connect your Private Cloud or On-Premises to an external relational database management server with SQL connectors. Refer to the SQL Server Connector configuration help page for more info.
- swiping possible on date picker
- new design for time picker
- improved backend security
- maintenance of Private Cloud storage performancePrivate Cloud/On-Premises (starting Sep 20, 2022)🗓
- changes made to the name in the Your account popup are not saved
- Appointment field allows
endTimeand appointment disappears from calendar
yearWeek()returns an incorrect result
- Dynamic choice field does not resize according to increasing or decreasing number of options
We've revamped the formula editor for a more efficient workflow and a better ease of use. Check out the new look and feel as well as new functionality on the Formula editor features or
Formel-Features im Editor help page.
No more manual adjustments or workarounds for automatically displaying dates correctly—no matter the timezone you or your collaborators work in.
Enable timezone-independent date for your databases following the steps on the Enable timezone-independent date or
Zeitzonenunabhängiges Datum aktivieren help page.
You can now check the usage around storage, API calls, and emails against your subscription. The app visually indicates how much capacity has been used and how much is still available.
To access the usage overview, visit the global settings by clicking the gear icon (1) in the top-right corner of your screen. From the dropdown menu, select Usage overview (2), then check Storage used (3), API calls used per month (4), or Emails sent per month (5).
Usage overview gives you insight on storage used, API calls used per month, and emails sent per month
Private Cloud and On-Premises
Check which software version your Ninox Private Cloud or On-Premises is running.
Find the release by accessing
General settings (1) > Server Administration (2) > Maintenance (3) > Server software version (4).
The Server Maintenance page displays the current version
Private Cloud and On-Premises
Both, Private Cloud and On-Premises can make use of 4 authentication strategies for single sign-on.
The Authentication Strategy page offers 4 options for SSO: Basic, SAML, OIDC, and AD DS
- to easily navigate across years and months
- to scroll vertically
- opening a database for the first time on a device with low memory causes the iPhone and iPad app to crash
Private Cloud and On-Premises
- in user management, view previous releases that are relevant for your setup:
- previously, release versions and dates that only applied to Public Cloud were also shown for Private Cloud and On-Premises
- APIs now make use of the user role permissions to show data
- if a table is protected by admin-only access, a user trying to call a records endpoint needs to be an admin for that table, so that the APIs return data
- otherwise, no data is shown when that user calls a records endpoint in order to protect the table's contents
Team owners: Make sure to assign the admin role to collaborators working with APIs if your table data is protected by admin permissions.
A table with admin permissions to read, write, create new records, and delete records
Admin role assigned to user by owner
GETendpoint can now retrieve a single file when the file name contains any special characters:
GETwas returning an Internal Server Error contained special characters like ę
POSTsends XML as
- previously, the function was stringifying XML, i.e., sending it as
sendEmail()function successfully sends attachments in triggers and do as server statements:
- previously, when used in triggers, the function would not send attachments at all
- when used in a do as server statement the function caused the app to crash and return a Server not responding error message
- Appointment field
- the field now keeps the previously entered time interval:
- previously, when a time interval is entered in an Appointment field that is not 1 hour and that field's date was later updated, the field changed the time interval to 1 hour
- Radio reference field
- when using the Radio field, the UI now updates accordingly
- Image field
- videos can be successfully uploaded to the Image field
- new authentication strategies available for single sign-on (SSO):
- AD DS (Active Directory Domain Services)
- SSO is an Enterprise feature available on request that requires a valid license purchased from Ninox or a certified partner.
- If you ordered custom-built features like SSO, you are eligible to receive an updated license. Whether you're using Ninox via Private Cloud or On-Premises, reach out to our Product team at [email protected] when you're ready to update.
- Private Cloud: you request the update, we deploy it
- On-Premises: you request the update, we send you a link, and you deploy it yourself
- configuration of password policy:
- password strength, such as length, lower/upper case, special characters
- password validity/expiry
- previous password re-use limit
- configuration of default BCC for outbound emails:
- a default BCC for all outbound emails sent via the
- do no longer require an explicit BCC to reach the sender
- enabling and disabling snapshots/automatic backups:
- use the Snapshot checkbox
DELETEto delete multiple records in a single API call for Public Cloud and Private Cloud
POSTto run expressions that can modify the database for Public Cloud and Private Cloud
POSTto upload and attach files to the Image field for Public Cloud and Private Cloud
- Zapier integration is available for Private Cloud and On-Premises:
- easier migration from Public Cloud using Zapier
- set up the connection by providing your Personal Access Token and your Private Cloud or On-Premises URLs
- Zaps set up in the past do not require an update
We've redesigned the Ninox mobile app to automatically appear in its optimized form on all devices.
When starting the Ninox 3.5.0 app on your mobile device for the first time, you will be asked whether you want to use the classic or new look. Tap the New button to try out the new design.
The Ninox mobile app automatically reformats the view for all screen sizes so you can easily interact with Ninox no matter whether you're using an iPhone, iPad, or an Android phone or tablet.
- new design for the following features for iOS and Android:
- seamlessly log in and out of the mobile app
- view your team workspace from the main screen
- interact with the formula editor, e.g., add new functions
- create different types of views
- switch between your views
- share views and files
- import files
- mark a table Hidden to hide sensitive data from view
- specify Readable if, and Writable if for fields
- set up Binding and Tooltip for fields
- add a Field, Formula, Layout element, Link to, Link from, and Sub-table from the toolbar at the bottom of the screen
- add View and Chart via Layout element
- a new construct do as transaction added to Ninox script
- behaves in the same way as do as server
- allows a set of code to run within the context of a transaction
- on mobile apps, do as transaction executes on the client and thus allows for offline-capable transactions
- run the script within transactions to achieve faster execution and higher consistency
- either apply changes upon successful completion or discard changes if any of the code in the wrapped script fails
- improves the consequent loading time of table views and execution of select queries
- restart teams if they are slow due to a long-running script on the server
- file upload endpoints accept
- file upload endpoints and all other endpoints now accept
tableNamein addition to
tableIdin the URL
- Trigger after update for memory-bound fields
- Trigger after update now works for memory-bound fields, i.e., both Global variable in memory as well as Per record in memory
urlOf()function in Trigger after update
urlOf()function used in Trigger after update now returns a valid link with a correct database ID
databaseId()function in Triggers
databaseId()function used in Triggers now returns the correct database ID instead of random integers
- selection in Date field and calendar pop-up functionality
- the date in the Date field can now be selected and the calendar pop-up remains visible
- Dynamic choice fields show 0 (zero) value
- Dynamic choice fields (Single and Multiple) now support absolute 0 (zero) values
- instead of record IDs, 0 can be selected in Dynamic choice fields
shareFile()function in Triggers
- when using the
shareFile()function in Triggers, some fields were either loading or not returning any values
- this error has been addressed and the
shareFile()function now returns correct values when used in Triggers